The whole country of Costa Rica is worthwhile visiting. But realistically, most people who want to visit would like to be within a half hour of a nice beach unless your main reason for coming is something other than vacationing – perhaps dental of medical reasons.
With that in mind, I will argue there are 5 major places that people would come to ‘visit’ Costa Rica.
Now, obviously we prefer the Samara area. But let me give you 5 different locations in Costa Rica that people tend to go to as their ‘destination’ or ‘home base’ while in the country.
Samara areas (where the Prados del Sol units are.)
- A ‘family’ area, less crowded, especially in the green/rainy season
- A touristy area – lots of things around for tourists to do, trips, zip lines, fishing, coffee tours, turtles and more – see our ______ page for details
- Most of the time I fly into Liberia if this is the only area I’m going to visit
Tamarindo Area (an hour of North of the Prados del Sol units)
- The “wild” area, bars and more, in the green/rainy season it is a busy ‘happening’ place. In the high/dry season – good luck finding parking within a mile of any beach!
- A touristy area – again, lots of things around for tourists to do.
- Tamarindo is closer to Liberia and Volcanos and Playa Conchall
- Similar to Samara, but closer to the San Jose airport, from what I’ve seen fewer of the touristy trips, but still enough to keep most people busy.
- A little more expensive I’m told due to it’s proximity to San Jose
- If you like it hot and humid, Limon is the more humid beach area. I’m told that Europeans prefer Limon because of the humidity, but North Americans prefer Guanacaste (Samara/Tamarindo)
- If you want to visit the cultural spots, museums, theatre, major government offices, bank head offices, San Jose is the place to go.